Co-existence and the City: Remaking the Immigrant and the Local in the Italian Public Space
Migration, security, urban ethnography, social integration, solidarity organizations, human rights, gender studies, qualitative research methods.
|2010 – 2011||United Kingdom
University of Exeter
Exchange Programme in Politics and International Relations
|2009 – 2015||Turkey
PhD in Political Science
|2007 – 2008||United Kingdom
University of Essex
MA in Theory and Practice of Human Rights as a Chevening/OSI Scholar
|2004 – 2007||
Major: Sociology Department
RESEARCH AND TEACHING EXPERIENCES
|Turkey and Belgium
Joint Research Project by Sabanci University and KU Leuven “Accessing interdependence between the European Union and Turkey: Policies and cooperation in regional and global governance,” Postdoctoral Fellow
University of Otago National Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies
Sabancı University, Humanity and Society (SPS 102)
Sabancı University Law and Ethics (SPS 303)
Middle East Technical University, European Commission 6th Framework Project VEIL: Values, Equality and Differences in Liberal Democracies, Research Assistant
Demirsu, Ipek (2017) Counter-terrorism and the Prospects of Human Rights: Securitizing Difference and Dissent, New Security Challenges Series, London: Palgrave Macmillan Publishers, ISBN: 978-3-319-50801-6.
- Demirsu, Ipek (2017) “Talking Security and Rights: The Framing of Counterterrorism Legislation in the UK,” in Journal of Language and Politics, vol. 16 issue. 6, DOI:10.1075/jlp.15043.dem.
- Demirsu, Ipek & Müftüler-Baç, Meltem (2017) “The Turkish-EU Cooperation on the Refugee Crisis: The Turkish Perceptions in the Parliamentary Debates,” PACO Working Paper, No. 07 August 2017, Jean Monnet Network PACO-Interparliamentary Cooperation in the EU’s External Action.
- Demirsu, Ipek & Cihangir-Tetik, Damla, (2018) “Constructing the Partnership with Turkey on the Refugee Crisis: EU Perceptions and Expectations,” in Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies. DOI:10.1080/19448953.2018.1506291
- Demirsu, Ipek & Müftüler-Baç, Meltem (forthcoming 2018) “The Turkish-EU Cooperation on the Refugee Crisis: The Turkish Perceptions in the Parliamentary Debates,” in (eds.) Jan Wouters, Meltem Müftüler-Baç, and Kolja Raube, Parliamentary Cooperation and Diplomacy in EU External Relations, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- 2017 8th International Conference ICSR Mediterranean Knowledge-Medworks (University of Salerno) “The Turkey-EU Cooperation on the Refugee Crisis: Turkish Perceptions in the Parliamentary Debates” (Co-authored with Prof. Meltem Müftüler-Baç)
- 2017 The European Union and Turkey Cooperation in Times of Crisis (KU Leuven) “The European Union’s Perspectives on the Refugee Deal with Turkey” (Co-authored with Damla Cihangir Tetik)
- 2016 Parliamentary Cooperation and Diplomacy in Europe and Beyond International Conference (Brussels) “Framing the Partnership: Expectations and Perceptions of the Turkey- EU Cooperation on the Refugee Crisis”
- 2015 Workshop VU Amsterdam (Amsterdam) “EU and the Democratization of National Security in Turkey: Policies and Perceptions”
- 2015 Security in the European Union and Its Neighborhood: Challenges and Policy Responses, with the Support of the Lifelong Learning Programme of the European Union (Dundee) “Breaking with the Dark Past? European Union and the Democratization of Security Policies in Turkey”
- 2015 Maximizing the Integration Capacity of Europe, Young Researchers Workshop (Istanbul) “Breaking with the Dark Past? European Union and the Democratization of Security Policies in Turkey”
- 2015 Midwest Political Science Association Annual Conference (Chicago) “Prevalent Policy Frames in the Making of Counter-terrorism Policies: A Comparative Analysis of Turkey and the UK”
- 2013 New Zealand Political Science Association Conference (Christchurch) “The Trade-off between Human Rights and National Security: A Comparative Analysis of the UK and Turkey”
- 2012 BISA-ISA Joint Conference (Edinburgh) “Is WikiLeaks the Harbinger of Global Civil Society or a Re-affirmation of Realism in World Politics?”
- 2012 Midwest Political Science Association Annual Conference (Chicago) “Role of the European Public Opinion in Turkey’s EU-bid.”
- 2011 ATINER-9th Annual International Conference on Politics & International Affairs (Athens) “Political Islam and The Spiral Model of Human Rights Change: The Case of Turkish Penal Code Reform and Women’s Human Rights.”
- 2010 ECPR Graduate Conference (Dublin) “Political Islam and the Protection of Women’s Human Rights”