Supervisor: Prof. Devi Sacchetto
Co-supervisor: Prof. Franca Bimbi
Ph.D. Research Project
‘Home as a concept of belonging(s): Narratives of Three Generations of Kurdish Women in Diaspora(s)’
Brief Synopsis of Research:
The thesis analyzes the meanings of home(s) found in the biographical narratives of three-generation of Kurdish women who come from Turkey and live in diaspora(s). The sociological analysis of ‘de- territoriality’ and displacement is guided by the issue of how displaced populations deal with questions of ‘home’ as a concept of belonging(s) such as origin, homeland, nation, diaspora and the host country. This thesis aims to show the sense of home from the view point of diasporas created by refugees, immigrants and asylum seekers and collocates itself in the category of studies on the sense of home in diaspora where “home is within and beyond the house” (Blunt and Dowling, 2006).
Feminist studies, Kurdish studies, migration studies, transitional law, political sociology.
- “Convegno Territori, mobilità, lavori”. Padua – February 2018.
- “AIS- Settimana della Sociologia- Tra tradizione e innovazione. Culture del Vino e del Cibo”, Padua – October 2017.
- “13th Conference of the European Sociological Association”, Athens – September 2017.
- “National Ph.D. Conference in Social Sciences”, Padua University, organizer, June 2017.
- “Visual Sociology School”, University of Genoa. Produced a short documentary as a part of field research, March -2017.
- “Kurdish Studies Summer School”, Leicester University – June 2016.
- “National Ph.D. Conference in Social Sciences”, Padua University – June 2016.
- “Multilevel protection of Human Rights”, Graduate Student Workshop. Ankara University – May 2014.
- Izci, O., Il doppio confine: le pratiche quotidiane di donne curde dal campo alla città. Convegno Territori, mobilità, lavori. (Padua – February 2018).
- Izci, O., Food and Gender: Three Generations of Kurdish Women in Diaspora(s). AIS Settimana della Sociologia – Tra tradizione e innovazione. Culture del Vino e del Cibo. (Padua- October 2017)
- Izci, O., Kurdish cultural mediation and expertise: a gendered perspective. 13th Conference of the European Sociological Association. (Athens-September 2017)
- Izci, O., Freedom of expression in Turkey: a historical perspective. Multilevel protection of Human Rights Workshop. (Antalya, May 2014)
- 2018: Joint Ph.D. program (co-tutelle) between University of Padua and Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- 2014: Master’s Degree in Mass Media and Politics from University of Bologna. Thesis title: Freedom of Expression in Turkey. Supervisor: Prof. Augusto Valeriani
- 2012: Study Abroad – Overseas Program at the University of Missouri – Columbia, USA. School of Political Sciences & Journalism
- 2010: Bachelor’s Degree in International Relations from University of Bologna. Thesis title: The accession of Turkey to the European Union. Supervisor.: Prof. Eugenio Baldi.
- 2006: High school diploma from Italian High School of Istanbul (IMI- Istituti Italiani Medi)
- European Association of Sociology
- Association of American Geographers
- Turkish: Native Language
- Italian: Near Native
- English: Fluent
- German: Basic Communication Skills